Thursday, August 7, 2008

"See You!" Kathmandu Farewell

"See You!" is used by my friends in the Kathmandu Valley as a way of saying "goodbye" in the same way that "Namaste!" is said as a means of greeting.

"See You!" Nepal. I'll be back later in the fall.

The only thing carrying me through my heavy-hearted departure from Kathmandu is the thought of seeing Katie and sharing my Nepali gifts and stories with her.

Honestly, I do not want to leave at all. As I've been telling all of my friends, I am very good in Nepal: physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. So for quite selfish reasons, I want to stay.

Nepal is also a place in which, in most situations you find yourself in, the things that you do and say make a difference. In a place where family and relationships are important, the gift of your time and your words make a big difference. In the moment, you can feel the meaning of your life. In a place where making money is difficult, the smallest gift or effort to support someone's life is deeply appreciated and usually effective.

I've had a tremendous send-off: a party in my honor from the staff of READ Nepal; brunch and great conversaton with Saubhagya; dinner in my honor by my family at the guesthouse; cake with Carly; a sari from Shanti; time in Bhaktapur with Sudip and a beautiful stone from him with a mountain scene signifying our future treks and fun together; and, a ride to the airport with one of my favorite taxi drivers.

My heart is here in Nepal and I'll be back...very soon!

SEE YOU!

1 Comment:

  1. Sara said...
    Julie -

    I am so happy for you - I know that there is nothing more amazing in life than finding "your place." I am so proud to have you as a classmate and cannot wait to hear firsthand the stories of your adventures.

    Safe travels and see you soon!

Post a Comment