Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tomorrow I travel with Praditha, the training manager for READ, to the Terai area of Nepal. Translated in Arkansan, I'm headed to the Delta. It's the part of Nepal closest to India. The climate promises to be hot and humid and full of mosquitoes. The staff at READ were giving me all sorts of cautions. I tried to reminded them that I am from Arkansas and grew up on the Gulf Coast where the mosquitoes are so large and plentiful that they team up to haul off the garbage. Only difference is that my mosquitoes back home don't carry malaria around with them. It's OK though. Nepal does not have a high incidence of malaria and the monsoon season isn't here yet. Also, I have 30 strength DEET and will be purchasing a mosquito net. We are staying in "lodges." Who knows what that will be like? We will be gone for 4 days visiting READ libraries. Out in the field - Awesomeness! A report from the field will follow.

3 Comments:

  1. Sara said...
    The kitty is pretty sweet - he's the neighbors, but he seems to like our house better. I can very much relate to you on the constant dog barking - there are about as many dogs as there are goats in my little village (which is about twice as many as the number of humans!), and once one of the pups gets going, they all get going. :) I'm so glad things are well for all of you - tell Molly and Carly hi for me.
    Lukman Arsalan said...
    You be careful now Julie. If I was there, I would have been protecting you! ;)
    I love you Julie.
    Linds said...
    So I am a tad bit jealous that you got to see a movie and have popcorn. I look forward to reading about your trip. Sounds like you are having an awesome time. Things are good here, tho a little cold.
    Take care.

Post a Comment